Picante Chicken Rice Burritos
The combination of chicken, cheese, olives and rice mixed together in a tortilla is outstanding. Definitely try this recipe.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
7 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 16-ounce jar picante sauce, divided
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/2 cup sliced black olives
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 burrito size tortillas
1. To Make Chicken Mixture: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté green onion and garlic until soft; stir in chicken, chili powder, 1/4 cup broth and 3/4 cup picante sauce. Heat through, then set aside.
2. To Make Rice: In a large saucepan, bring rice and remaining 2 1/4 cups broth to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups picante sauce, cover and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. To Assemble Burritos: Stir chicken mixture into rice, then add olives and 2 cups of the cheese. Mix well. Spoon 1 cup of filling onto each tortilla, off center. Fold sides and ends over filling, then roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in two 9x13-inch baking dishes and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Based on individual serving.
Total Fat: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Protein: 36 g
© 2001 iVillage Inc.; all rights reserved