Somebody has started to straighten some of these thoughtless and ungrateful people out. I am even more grateful that it was someone serving in one of the branches of military.
Military paid too much? You be the judge!
This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America.
On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise coming service members' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.
A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.
I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account.
Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after.
I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum... I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.
Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in our armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.
Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.
Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it.
You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opined piece.
But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.
And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!
A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC
IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE SIGN AND PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. THANK YOU.
1. AB Shanahan, Kelly M. USAF
2. SrA Macdonnell, M USAF @ Travis AFB
3. A1C Jessica Brewer USAF
5. D Rogers
6.A1C Clara J. Brucker USAF
7. Amn April L. Severson USAF
8. Amn David "Smitty" Smith USAF
9. A1C AnneMarie Anello USAF
10. A1C Bush, MIchael R. II USAF @ Charleston AFB
11. A1C Lewis, Michael J USAF @ CAFB
12. A1C Bilodeau, Stephanie USAF @ Dover AFB-> my add on...not to mention the hours we work. i hear rumors of us going back to 5 and 2-12's. 60 hours a freaking week. way insane
13. SrA Brower, McGuire AFB USAF
14. SrA Caufield, Andrews AFB, MD USAF
15. Angela Cushing
16.Amy Pickett PAFW to SrA Pickett Andrews AFB
17.Cindy Mitchell..Wife to SrA Mitchell..deployed
18. Nicole Smith, USAF veteran
19. SPC. Todd M. Dicken, USAR (Its about time someone said it!)
20. Ssgt. Jason M. Fox, U.S. Air Force
21. SrA Graham, U.S. Air Force
22. SrA Saludares, U.S. Air Force
24. SrA Alice Labra, USAF @ Lackland AFB
25. SPC Joanna Estrada, US Army, Fort Riley, KS
26.SPC.Vereen,Jarrett, Us Army Ft.Bliss,TX
26. SGT Brandyburg, Felicia , U.S. ARMY
27. SPC Postell, David, U.S. ARMY
28. SSG Williams, Virgil C., U.S. Army
29. SGT RUDD, Gordon R, U.S. ARMY
30. PFC Morris, Sterfanie, U.S. Army, Camp Hovey, South Korea
31. PFC Perry, US Army, S. Korea
32. SPC Owen, US Army, S. Korea
33. SPC Blake, John, U.S. Army, Camp Castle, South Korea
34. SPC Sinclair, Joseph D, U.S. Army, Camp Castle, South Korea
35. SPC Loforte, Michelle, U.S. Army, Fort Bliss, TX
36. SSG Offerman, Ft. Bliss, TX
37. GSE3 Bollmann, USN
38. DC2 Pettit, USN
39. MN3 Roewe, USN @ Sasebo, Japan
40. MN3 Harvey, USN Sasebo, Japan
41. MN3 ESPOSITO, US NAVY, SASEBO JAPAN
42. MNSN FRANTZ,MICHAEL C., USN< SASEBO JAPAN
43. MN3 Tassey, USN Sasebo, Japan
44. HM3 Peoples, U.S. Navy, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines
45. HM3 Schlunsen, US Navy, Naval Medical Center San DIego
46. HN (FMF) McGraw, US Navy, 3RD MED BN, 3RD MLG
47. CPL McGraw, US ARMY, 187th INF REGT(RAKKASAN) 101st ABN
48. Stacy W. Family Readiness Instuctor Army Reserves
49. Erin L. Navy GF, Marine sister, Army and Navy granddaughter
50. Andrea A. C., AF wife
51. Connie ~ Granddaughter of a retired Navy man, cousin to a few Army men.
52. A1C Muffley Casey S. USAF Minot AFB
53. A1C Beusch, James J. USAF Minot AFB
54. A1C Beusch, Dawn R. USAF Minot AFB
55. A1C Harris, Christopher A. USAF Dobbins ARB, Grandson of a great man who served his country in the USAF.
56. A1C McClain, Keith F USAF Minot AFB
57. PFC Trahan, Lucas E USMC, Okinawa
58. LCpl Johnson Jr., Darrel A USMC, Kansas
59. PFC baker charles H USMC, okinawa japan
61. McKay, Michael (former USAFR and MOANG)
62.PFC honeysuckle dustin 82nd airbourne
63. nikki gibson- army wife
64. Daisy Shingleton-army wife
65. Spc william sego 82nd airborne fort bragg NC
66. Kylie Spence
67. SSG Mojica,Cesar (USAJFKSWC, Special Forces trainee)
68. SPC Harris, David - 82 ABN DIV
69. SPC Adamo, Paul - 82d ABN DIV
70. Nikki Johnson-Grandaughter of a Marine and a Fighter Pilot-North Carolina
71. Aaron Gagneur- 101 Airborne Division Air Assault
72. Jacob Sellers - 101st ABN Division Air Assault
73. Stacy Cozine - 101st ABN DIV (AASLT)
74. J. Busch - Panama City Beach Fire Recue (USN grand dad)
75. Kristin Parnell - Army wife and Air Force daughter
76. Angela Sammons
77.AOAN Applewhite- USN, NAB CORONADO
78. ISSN Lapham - USN, Norfolk
79. A1C Thielman- USAF, Ramstein Germany AB
80. SrA Wentworth-USAF, RAB GE
81. SrA Jones-USAF, Ramstein AB Germany
82. SrA Clark - USAF, Whiteman AFB MO
83. A1C Korf- USAF, whiteman AFB Mo
84. A1C Warren- USAF, Whiteman AFB, MO
85. A1C Pierce-USAF, Kliene Brogel, Belgium
86. K Brantley, USAF dependent Whiteman AFB MO
87. C. Johnson USAF
88. J. Dutcher USAF dependent, Whiteman AFB
89. S. Brown USAF, Whiteman AFB, MO AirForce Wife
90. SGT Daniels, Keisha-101st ABN DIV (AASLT)
91. SGT Rice, Ashly-101st ABN DIV
92. SPC Boucher, Samantha- 164th MP Co. Ft Richardson AK
93. Barbara Schultz- Army Mother
94. PFC Van Horn- 1102nd GSU Ft Richardson Ak
95. PFC Donnelly, Bobbie
96. PV2 Tavel, Gwynnne 212th MP CO Weisbaden Germany
97. PFC Miles, Darian 190th MP Co. Kennesaw, Georgia
98. PFC Howell, Jeffrey HHC STB Ft. Riley Kansas
99. PFC Scronce, Jacob HHC STB Ft. Riley Kansas
100. Wife of PV2-Parker, Latishia...Ft. Riley Kansas
101. Terry M. cousin in Army Ft Hood. Tx
102. SPC Uribe, Tosha 602nd maint. co ft. hood tx
103. Wife of PFC-Johnson, Jessica...Ft. Hood Tx
104. PFC Michael Reynolds, 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade
105. Robert Dale, Grandson of a retired Navy man, nephew to a few Army men and air force and brother to a marine.
106. Karen Crockford, Air Force and Army granddaugter, daughter of a Sailor, girlfriend of a Marine.
107. Shannon M, Girlfriend of a deployed Marine Cpl
108. Heather Causey full military family an USMC FIANCE
109. Heather Crum-Daughter of an Army vet & USMC GF
110. Meggan Gonzalez- USMC Wife
111.Ashley Davis- USMC Wife
112. Natasha Weiker - Granddaughter of WWII Vet, Stepdaughter of USN Vet, Sister of USN, ...
113. Kristen Schalk - Girlfriend of a 101st Airborne Division Soldier (Infantry)
114. Heather Speck- wife of 1-28th Infantry Solider (Love You Baby)
115. April Cefalu- Wife of a 1-28 Infantry Soldier
116. Spc. Turchi-US Army
117.Ashley Turchi-amry wife
118.Kim Darnley-army mom
119.Mary Lackey-army mom
120.Angel Amick-army sister
121. Jenna McManus - USMC (1st Battalion, 8th Marines, Charlie Company) sister, granddaughter of retired United States Navy Officer
122.MASA Urbanski-United States Navy Wallops island,va
123MASA NASH-USN WALLOPS ISLAND VA!!
124. Amn Aylsworth- USAF TACP 101st AIRBORNE
125.A1C McCasland - USAF 43d Civil Engineering Squadron
126. Amn Wright - USAF 17th Civil Engineering Squadron
127. ktg - Army Airborne Ranger girlfriend
128. Michelle Brown-Army Combat engineers proud wife
129. Karen Causey- Proud Army Wife
130. Julie Springer~ Proud Army Wife...whose Husband is overworked and underpaid. Besides...how dare u put a price on YOUR freedom!
131. Steven Trejo Sr proud BFF of a deployed Marine
132. Steven Trejo Jr proud nephew of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm
133. Damian Trejo proud nephew of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm
134. Dante Trejo proud nephew of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm
135. Sora Trejo proud niece of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm
136. Elizabeth Trejo proud niece of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm
137. Christina Trejo ~ Proud BFF 2 a deployed Marine, niece of an Uncle KIA in Desert Storm, Great Niece of an Uncle wounded in Namm, cousin to a Marine, cousin to a Navy Seal, BFF to an Army Infantry wife, and Coastie Brat!
138. Staci- Proud Marine girlfriend :)
139. How eloquently stated! Mandi Bethel-Horn-Proud Marine Wife
140. Erika P. USMC WIFE
141. Alicia Kaisen~ Proud USMC Wife
142. Lauren O. ~ Proud USMC Wifey
143. Jessie Avila~ VERY PROUD USMC WIFE, Camp Lejeune, NC
144. Virginia Loven ~ proud USMC wife
145.Annie Mullins~USMC wife
146 Christina Parker~USMC wife
147. Daniel Apiag~Son of a 20+ year Navy Veteran
148. Nikki Baker-Granddaughter of retired Navy Chief, cousin to a Navy man
149. LeeAnn--proud gf of a smokin' submarriner...in the Navy, of course
150. Josh Bailey- brother of a US Army Ranger, son of a retired Colonel and grandson of WWII and Korean war Vet
151. Michael Turnbow-US Navy Vet
152. Armand Riley-US Navy Vet
153. jon roche just an american THANK YOU
154. Nikole Renee ~ Sister of an Army Vet (173rd Airborne Infantry-Served in Iraq & Afghanistan)
155. Mike Eshaq former Cpl. USMC
156. James Piche~ PVT ANG
157. Angi Szalai-Supporter of our Armed Forces!!
158. Scott J. Giard ~ Former OS1, US Coast Guard.
159. Justin D. Olson~BM1, US Coast Guard.
160. A1C Slaughter~Travis AFB 60th CES
161. Amn Dagza - Whiteman AFB 509th CES
162.A1C Castaneda- Nellis AFB 99th SSS
163. A1C Bunte-Nellis AFB 99th SSS
164.A1C Woolery-Offutt AFB 55th SFS
165. A1C Ankenbauer Jr - Robins AFB
166. A1C Murray - Robins AFB 78 SFS
167. A1C Doell - Barksdale AFB 2nd SFS
168.A1C Terrence Cole-Edwards AFB 95th SFS
169.Minette Rivera - proud fiancee of A1C Terrence Cole
170. PFC Van Gelder- U.S. army 1-25 sbct
171. PFC Cohen- U.S. ARMY 1-25 sbct
172. PFC Willey- U.S. Army-443 mp co, proud son of air force veterans, brother to a marine, grandson of a IWO JIMA vet
173. PFC Brewer-U.S. Army Reserves 320th MP Unit
174. PFC Mohr- Army National Guard 32nd Mp co.
175. PFC Rawson- Army Reserves 391st Mp bn Hq
176. SPC Moore - MOARNG 1137th MP CO
177. PFC Cowan- Texas National guard
178. PFC Merck- 304th MP BN, DET 4, United States Army
179. PFC Theriac-354th MP BN, United States Army
180. SPC Baxter-233rd MP CO
181. PFC Choate- 2-130 Inf
182. Theresa Napiorkowski-My Husband and Sons protect your freedom!
183. Terri Robinson- USMC WIFE 3/5 Wpns Co.. I know for a fact he does NOT get paid enough. Father and two brothers in the Army!
184. PFC Napiorkowski-2/130
185.A1C Davila- AF Mountain home, id
186. A1C Orton- AF Mountain Home, Idaho
187. A1C Brown- AF Mountain Home AFB, ID
188. A1C Patrick- AF Mountain Home, ID
189. Dolly Girodo - Wife of A1C Girodo - USAF Mountain Home AFB, ID
190.Caroline Harman-wife of SRA-Mountain Home AFB, ID we are a family of four and barly make ends meat!
191.SRA Nathanel Harman-Mountain Home AFB, ID..
192. A1C Stone-USAF-Mountain Home AFB, Id.
193. Kate and Ezekial Stone-wife and son of A1C Stone-USAF Mountain Home AFB, Id.
194. Audrey King- Proud wife of SGT. King-Fort Benning Georgia!
195. Carole Basel Wife of SSGT Daniel Basel
196. Catrina Money Proud Wife of TSGT Curtis Money-F.E. Warren AFB
197. Mary D. ~ PROUD USAF Wife
198. Maria T. - proud daughter of retired SFC A. Tabulina, Fort Lewis, WA
199. MK2 Carlson-U.S. Coast Guard-Sector Miami
200. MK2 Woebkenberg-U.S. Coast Guard-M.S.R.T.
201. GM2/SPC Dorgan USCG/US ARMY
202. SGT Trevino US Army ...Call me crazy, but I remember year long deployments. You six month guys were lucky.
203. SSG Rose U.S. ARMY FRT. LEWIS, WA
204. SGT Becerra- US Army... SIx Months?? Year long?? how's 15 months damn i wish I was in the army back then.. :P
205. SGT Fisher U.S. Army 2nd ID. FT. Lewis WA.
206. SPC. Carroll US. Army 2nd INF DIV. FT. Lewis WA.
207. SGT Orebaugh, US. Army 2nd INF DIV. Ft Lewis WA
208. SGT Booth, US Army 2nd INF DIV, Ft Lewis, WA
209. Erin Vannoy Proud wife of a First Class Navy Man NAS Lemoore
210. Amber Peterson, Proud Wife to AT1 Peterson NAS Lemoore
211. SSgt Colbert, Jill Peterson AFB Colorado Spring and my husband SGT Colbert, Aaron Fort Carson/Iraq
212. SrA Michael Yates; Osan AB, ROK USAF
213. SrA Sean O'Connor, USAF
214. A1C Kayleigh Malanosky, Osan AB, ROK, USAF
215. SrA Adam Sneed, Osan AB, ROK, USAF
216. A1C Christopher Cagley USAF, Macdill AB, Tampa
217. A1C Sergio Gonzalez, Aviano AB, Italy
218. A1C Amanda Gomez, Lackland AFB, TX
219. SrA Christopher Bailey, Lackland AFB, TX
220. SSgt R Washington, Lackland AFB TX
221. SrA Monique Monteiro, Lackland AFB, TX
222. SrA Gagner, Rachel C. Ellsworth AFB, SD
223.Brandon, Melissa Veteran Macdill AFB, FL
224 TSgt Brandon, Stephen Macdill AFB, FL
225. Rebecca Pinkerton, ex wife of Major Robert Storey ARMY who is currently in his 2nd tour of Iraq, south Bahgdad. We have a 12 year son who cries himself to sleep in fear. Rob's words Christmas day, it is bad over here, don't tell Quentin.
226.Puts things into prospective, made me tear up!!! Fantastic job, well written.....Renee Jimenez (3 relatives recently served and/or are serving in the Military)
227. Diane Broadbent: family and friends and clients who have served or who have spouses serving for u!
228. Jacquelyn Hanners: Grateful American
229. Layne Harmon: Boise, ID.
230. Michelle Garrett: Missoula, MT
231. PR2 Michaelah Barcus, NAS JAX, FL
232. W. D. O. Strong, Fmr. AD and proud Veteran.
HM USN @ NAVHOSP Great Lakes, IL, Corpus Christi, TX, San Diego, CA & Pensacola, FL. Signed with tears in my eyes. Some people just have NO CLUE!
233. C. S. Strong, Fmr. military husband, Patriot and proud American.