These topics about relationships seem to come up very often in the MuMM's so here is my experiances and insights on this. I once met a woman online, and then moved to be with her, we were happy for about 2.5 years then it went downhill. No need to explain the situation its complicated and she was bi-polar so that was a major factor, my leaving was her choice not mine. But onto these topics.
For me i see life in a diffrent way then most. See i look at life as a average person, because in many ways i am average. So with that said, you have to look at life on a day to day basis as we have no idea how many years we might have alive. Thus day to day is how i perseve things. And the average person in a 24 hour day sleeps 8 hours, works 8 hours, and has 8 hours to themselfs for the rest of their life. That means if you take your sleep and work and add them up thats 2/3rds of a day shot. And that translates into 2/3rds of your life gone. (Take into account im not counting weekends, because some people work 5 days while others work 6 or 7 so this is all based on averagaes)
So when people ask about online relationships i have to say they can work, but there are two major factors that are needed.
1. Both people must believe finding each other online is no diffrent then finding each other downtown at a local bar, or store. For me online most times seems to be no diffrent then meeting someone in a bar, however i have noticed thru my experiances more often those found online, are less likely to be drunk, thus more likely to tell the truth more.
2. Both must also relise that online should be treated the same as a phone call, the only diffrence is really about the medium in which you communicate. It is funny how some think online is bad, chat rooms, instant messengers and so on, but they seem to forget about texting from a cell phone, its the same basic principal, just one is done with a pc while the other is done on a phone.
this could come down to perceptions that most things online are open to the world, while your cell is more a private thing and number. But in reality they are both as private as you keep them and as public as you make them.
So for me finding love online is very possible and in reality you have a better chance it would seem to me to find it online then you would downtown. not everyone lives in big citys so the internet is just a extention for them. It brings more possibilitys to them and provides them with a better opportunity to find the person who best matches them.
As far as long distance relationships i fall back into a age old phrase. Well a couple of them.
"The best things are the hardest to find or get."
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder."
For me these are the two things i think of in a long distance relationship. But to make any form of a long distance relationship work not matte if its a 30 min drive vs a 2 day airplane ride. There are key things to keep it alive and well.
1. First and formost is communication daily, even tho you are seperated by distance this does not mean you should stop talking. If you were together you would be talking, so find a way to keep the communication alive, and talk daily even if its just for a few minutes. Do not let your talks interfear with your normal life, as this can cause more stress then the seperation. Find the right amount of time to talk, find the right time, and try to stick to it. That small schedualed time talking not only makes each other more comfortable with the distance, but it also helps to have something to look forward to. And it can help both to feel more like they are next to one another then seperated.
2. make plans to see each other as often and for as long as possible, but also remember unlss you can handle the distance for a long period of time, it is best to talk at some point, not to seriously but enough to let each other know at some point you will be together all the time. But visiting and making plans to visit helps alot, and gives you both something to look forward to.
3. finally you both must believe it will work, you must also both believe the distance is only a obsticale to be overcome at some point. do not let the distance creep in deep and make you doubt one another. let it prove to you how badely you want to be with each other, and let it help you to grow closer.
These are my thoughts on these subjects, and maybe they might help you along your way into a online relationship or a long distance relationship, so it may succed. for those doing the long distance thing, i recomend using the internet to its fullest, find a messanger program you both like, get webcams and mics and use them when you talk at night if possible. this will help you to feel more like you are there rather then seperated.
Remember the most important thing of all, life is short and love is forever.