Kyle - my brother Blog by Irish Princess
Over 30,047 people are online! Join now and start making friends!

Irish Princess's blog: "Kyle - my brother"

created on 04/11/2011  |  |  1 followers

Well as of yesterday Kyle is back in the ICU, to add to his injuries he now has pneumonia, sepsis, his brain swelling is increasing, and renal production is slowing down.  They aren't giving us much hope at this point. He's not responding to stimuli at all now. I'm just asking for prayers, this has consumed my mom, I had to take her to the doctors today and have her medicated, I honestly don't know how much more I can take before I crack. But thank you to the few that have been checking on me, you have no idea how much it's appreciated.

Well I came back to PA today after spending another week in Columbus with my family. As of when I left this morning, Kyle is completely off the sedative drip and is on Methadone and Valium that they are injecting straight into his feeding tube (stomach absorbs more than IV) he opened his eyes a few times but there is no recognition or anything really, it's like the old saying, the lights are on but no one is home, at least for now... They were able to get his brain pressure stabilized enough that they pulled the drain into his brain out last night.  He's been off and on the vent to help him breathe thru his tracheotomy. The social worker got ahold of my sister in law yesterday and informed her they want to move him to another facility, that OSU is too costly, yet it's where he needs to be, with the best docs, surgeons and nurses caring for him. So at this point we don't know if it really is the cost or if they don't have any hopes of him recovering from this, we are told they want him moved by weeks end. 2 facilities are nothing more than nursing homes and 1 is a "hospital" a term I use loosely in this case. It's still a day by day marathon at this point, no real new info  just hanging on for as long as I can before I lose my marbles. Thank you for all the prayers, they are certainly appreciated and needed right now. And especially thank you to the few that have checked in on me to make sure I'm holding up ok.



Last Tuesday (April 5th) I got a hysterical call about 9:30 pm from my mom saying I needed to get back home (in Ohio) that my brother had shot himself. That 3 hour drive took only about 2.5 hrs this particular trip and still felt like an eternity to make. When I reached OSU Medical Center I found out he had been life flighted and had already undergone brain surgery to stop the bleeding and remove the loose brain matter. Finally at 6am Wednesday morning I was able to see him, he was bandaged from his forehead up, and what I could see was covered in dried blood and extreme swelling, he had no facial features what so ever. He was on a respirator but his other vitals were stable (working on their own). Kyle is 28 and no matter how old he is, he's my baby brother. We've heard bits and pieces of what happened but honestly none of it adds up. Just the week before I talked to him and he was happy and excited over news I had for him, and just this past Sunday (2 days before) he had sent me video of his 6 month old daughter saying da da for the first time. His boss came to the hospital and said Kyle was Kyle at work on tuesday, laughing and joking. On friday they did a tracheotomy to allow him to breathe on his own (respirator is still hooked up but only as a back up) since the roof of his mouth, and his nasal passages are gone. The bullet went straight through the frontal lobe of the brain and continued thru the skull (it wasn't still in his head). They have him heavily sedated to keep him still, the more they can keep him the still the more the swelling will go down and allow his brain and body to heal. They do remove him off the sedation about every hour or two and see how he responds, he is moving his hands and feet, so paralysis isn't a concern so far as his limbs go. On Saturday he did finally open his eyes but only for a second and it was only a blank stare, didn't try to focus on anything, however the eye docs said from the CT's and physical exams they can't see that anything optical has been destroyed. Yesterday they tried to remove him from the sedation to allow him to wake up and his heart rate shot up to 288 and his blood pressure went through the roof, they immediately had to re sedate him. I'm not telling anyone this to get a pity party, it's been an incredibly hard last 8 months between Monica passing away and now this. All I'm asking for is a few prayers that my brother will pull through this and my niece will have her daddy back, she's so young and confused, she searches every face she sees trying to find him, it's heartbreaking. Not only for her but for our entire family.




last post
3 years ago
can view
can comment

other blogs by this author

official fubar blogs
 2 years ago
fubar news by babyjesus 
 12 hrs ago
e by e 
 12 hrs ago
e by e 
 4 years ago ideas! by babyjesus 
 1 year ago
Word of Esix by esixfiddy 

discover blogs on fubar

blog.php' rendered in 0.1869 seconds on machine '191'.