U.S. President Barack Obama, announcing Friday that "the rest of our troops will come home by the end of the year," said: "After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over."
The new partnership with Iraq will be "strong and enduring" after U.S. troops leave the country, Obama said in the White House briefing room. The United States will continue its interest in a strong, stable Iraq after U.S. troops leave, the president said.
"Today I can say that our troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the holidays," Obama said.
About 39,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq, and the U.S. had wanted to keep from 3,000 to 5,000 troops in Iraq past 2011 to aid in training and security. But the current Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq dictates the U.S. troops leave by year's end, and the United States and Iraq had been unable to come to an agreement on key issues regarding legal immunity for U.S. troops who would remain in Iraq, effectively ending discussion of maintaining a significant American force presence beyond 2011.
Of the 39,000 troops in Iraq, only about 150, a negligible force, will remain to assist in arms sales.
The negotiations were strained following WikiLeaks' release of a diplomatic cable that alleged Iraqi civilians, including children, were killed in a 2006 raid by American troops rather than in an airstrike as initially reported by the U.S. military.
U.S. troops have already started the drawdown - a brigade from Fort Bliss, Texas, that was originally scheduled to be among the very last to leave Iraq was being pulled out of the country months ahead of its planned departure, military officials told CNN last week.
[Updated at 12:47 p.m. ET] The scheduled departure of virtually all U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of the year will allow the United States to "say definitively that the Iraq war is over," a White House official said Friday.
[Initial post] Virtually all U.S. troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year as the current Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq dictates, a U.S. official told CNN Friday.
A small number of U.S. troops will be attached to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.
This month, the United States and Iraq had been unable to come to an agreement on key issues regarding legal immunity for U.S. troops who would remain in Iraq after the end of the year, effectively ending discussion of maintaining a significant American force presence beyond 2011.
About 39,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq, and the U.S. wanted to keep from 3,000 to 5,000 troops in Iraq past 2011.
U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to make a statement about Iraq around 12:45 p.m. Friday, according to a White House official.
Good Shit... Listen if you got the balls!
Got NETFLIX? GO Watch Loose Change 9-11 An American Coup if you have any Brains at all... which for most of you I doubt it cuz you can't manage to pull your head out of the drama and beggers! I Will Bling you if you watch it...
(Editor's note: Whatever your political beliefs, we can all agree that people say the dumbest things. Below, you'll find some some stupid conservative quotes put together by Sasha Brown-Worsham. For equally stupid -- and funny -- gaffs made by their liberal counterparts, read 50 Dumb Liberal Quotes.)
When politicians and pundits mess up, flub their words, or make Freudian slips, they often do so in the most spectacularly hilarious ways.
Former Vice President Dan Quayle reminded us not to lose our minds. (That would be a truly terrible loss, after all.) And Sarah Palin volunteered that that she was keeping an eye on Putin -- and on all of Russia -- from her perch up there in Alaska (you betcha!).
Below, you'll find 50 more of the dumbest conservative quotes we've come across.
No matter what your politics, we hope you'll have a good laugh.
It's kinda like that same old song -- a cruel dictator clings to power and President Obama is criticized for being "slow to act." he did say Libya's Moammar Gadhafi must go. But, it wasn't fast enough -- or strong enough -- even though some say he's treading carefully because there are still Americans in Libya. That's not stopping Senators John McCain and Joe Lieberman. Lieberman told CNN he understands why the Obama Administration waited, but now "we ought to provide (the Libyan rebels) with arms." McCain said the President should impose a "no-fly zone" over Libya -- so Libyan pilots can't attack their own people. "Get tough," McCain said. "I understand the safety of American citizens is our highest priority. It is not our only priority." Both senators stopped short of saying U.S. troops ought to be used to help topple Gadhafi. Tough choice -- because who really knows who's leading the opposition in libya? Former CIA officer Jamie Smith says there's "no coherent alternative" to the Gadhafi regime. Will they become our friends? Or turn on us like, say, Saddam Hussein? Or the Afghan rebels who morphed into what is now Al Qaeda?
Should the U.S. arm the Libyan rebels?
This is what our narcissistic moron has done in his first 4 months:
1. Offended the Queen of England
2. Bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia
3. Praised the Marxist Daniel Ortega.
4. Kissed Hugo Chavez on the cheek.
5. Endorsed the Socialist Evo Morales of Bolivia
6. Announced we would meet with Iranians with no pre-conditions.
7. Gave away billions to AIG. also without pre-conditions.
8. Expanded the bailouts.
9. Insulted everyone who has ever loved a Special Olympian.
10. Doubled our national debt.
11. Announced a termination of the space defense system the day after the North Koreans launched an ICBM.
12. Despite the urgings of his own CIA director and the prior 4 CIA directors, released information on intelligence gathering.
13. Accepted without public comment the fact that five of his cabinet members cheated on their taxes and two others withdrew after they couldn't take the heat.
14. Appointed a Homeland Security Chief who quickly identified as "dangers to the nation", groups including veterans of the military, and opponents to abortion on demand, and who ordered that the word "terrorism" no longer be used but instead referred to such acts as "man made disasters".
15. Circled the globe so he could openly apologize for America's greatness.
16. Told Mexicans the violence in their country was because of us.
17. Politicized the census by moving it into the White House from its Department of Commerce origins..
18. Appointed as Attorney General the man who orchestrated the forced removal and expulsion from America to Cuba of a nine-year old whose mother died trying to bring him to a life of freedom in theUnited States.
19. Salutes as heroes three Navy SEALS who took down three terrorists who threatened one American life and the next day announces members of the Bush administration will likely stand trial for "torturing" a terrorist who had played a part in killing 3000 Americans by pouring water up their nose. BTW, Why do we do this to our own Navy Seals during training if we can't do it to prisoners?
20. Flew Air Force One over New York City causing panic at a cost of $400,000 to get a photo you can make with Photoshop for less than a dollar.
21. Sent his National Defense Advisor to Europe to assure Europe that the US will no longer treat Israel in a special manner and they might be on their own with the Muslims
22. Began the process of nationalizing the Auto Industry and the Insurance industry.
23 Announced that for all intent and purposes, the Health Insurance Industry will be nationalized.
And just think only 1360 days to go, if we have anything left.
These are True Facts, think about it.